Thursday, February 12, 2015

The easiest way to make a flower arrangement using scotch tape!

In honor of Valentine's day I wanted to repost this super easy trick to make a flower arrangement! I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's day weekend! My sister-in-law and her boyfriend will be visiting for a few days. We will be celebrating as a big happy family!!!  xoxo, Kelly 

For as long as I can remember I have been the worst at making flower arrangements! My mother on the other hand seems to have this magical way of putting flowers in a vase so effortlessly and they look picture perfect every time ! I don't know how she does it! She knows just the right length to cut the stems, she knows just the right size vase to use and how much extra foliage to add ! I somehow didn't inherit the flower arrangement gene from her! But I did learn a really easy trick that has helped me tremendously ! I actually saw florists use this trick on one of those million dollar wedding shows. They were making huge extraordinary center pieces but I thought I could try the same technique on a small arrangement. I tried it and it worked ! So if you are like me and didn't inherit the flower arrangement gene (hehe ) .... Then hopefully this trick will work for you too! :)

Step 1:  Choose a bowl and add water 3/4 of the way full.  I choose this beautiful grey and white bowl from West Elm that my sister gave me for my birthday. 

Any bowl will work but of course using an extra pretty or detailed bowl looks best! Try to use a bowl that is about the same size in circumference or a little smaller than the bouquet of flowers you buy or pick. 


Step 2: Begin putting strips of scotch tape vertically across the bowl. Make sure the tape is ending just on the edge of the bowl and not hanging down the edges. I like to start in the middle and then work my way to the left and right . 


Step 3: Now start placing tape strips horizontally to make a grid. Leave small spaces in between tape sections about a 1/2 inch or smaller. 

Step 4: Now the fun part ! You can start adding the flowers!  Cut flowers one at a time just a tiny bit taller than your bowl. I like to start in the center and work my way to the outside. It also works best if your center flowers are slightly taller than the outer flowers. Make sure to vary flowers by color and fullness. 


One trick I use is to always save one of the prettiest and fullest stems to add last and find the perfect spot for it! It usually ends up in the center of the arrangement or somewhere that has a gap.

Step 5: The final step is to add extra foliage. Take different size and shape leaves off the stems and arrange them in sporadically. 

One trick and perk of using this masking tape method is you have the ability to tape the leaves in place on top of the grid masking tape, so you can easily place the leaves exactly where you like them and they will stay put ! 

 So easy !!! And here is the finished product! I hope this trick helps you like it does for me! If I can do it then anyone can! :)